This these deeply cut and gilded sans serif letterforms sit over the main entrance to Gillow’s factory and showrooms. Built in1881, the building was to produce furniture from a company that developed an international reputation for the highest quality materials and designs.
Location: North Road, Lancaster, UK.
This magnificent frieze is found on the former warehouse of Joshua Hoyle And Sons, cotton spinners and manufacturers of Bury, Lancashire. Designed by Charles Heathcote (1850–1938) in 1904, the steel framed building is faced terracotta, brick and and glazed ceramics. It is now used as a hotel. The letters have a lovely expressive form as seen in the serifs with their swirling terminals and cross bars.
Location: London Road, Manchester, UK.
These letters are found above the door of this double fronted Victorian house. Date of construction is unknown.
Location: Ashfield Avenue, Lancaster.
Name plaque on a row of Victorian terrace houses, Lancaster – built 1885. Although the letterforms appear at first sight to be sans serifs, they do in fact have very slight serifs.
Location: Woodville Terrace, Lancaster.
Theses slight serif letters with their hint of Art Deco styling are found on the facade of the London Homoeopathic Hospital, London. Established in 1849, it moved to its current location in Great Ormond Street in 1859. Joining the NHS in 1948, it now the hospital was renamed the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine in September 2010.
Location: Great Ormond Street, London, UK.
These glorious serif letterforms are from the former booking office of St Pancras Station, London. The station was built to a design by William Henry Barlow (1812-1902) in 1868 for the Midland Railway Company
Location: St Pancras Station Railway Station, Kings Cross Street, London.
These serif letters with their Blackletter features, sit of alongside Lancaster’s coat of arms, are set above the door of a derelict industrial building on St George’s Quay. This is the site of Luneside Mills, built in 1875 by James Williamson, and once one of the largest industrial complexes in the world. It was the powerhouse of a business, founded initially on the invention of ‘table baize’, a type of oil cloth, and later the manufacture of linoleum floor cloth. The plant closed in 1999 after a long decline in the face of economic downturn and overseas competition.
Location: St George’s Quay, Lancaster.