This inscription identifies the firm of J. Bibby & Sons, corn merchants and millers, as the commissioners of this imposing five-storey warehouse and mill built at Fleet Square in 1881. The letters are set within a moulded frame that sits below the Doric pediment of the warehouse’s New Road entrance. The letters are cut in relief and have strong bracketed serifs, large full stops and an unusually intricate ampersand. In particular, the letter b is interesting in that it appears to have been cut upside down; perhaps the unintended action of an apprentice mason.
Location: New Road, Lancaster, UK.