In 1869, the Lancaster Banking Company commissioned architects Austin and Paley to design this imposing building on Church Street, while the renowned firm of Gillow & Company were to provide its fine furnishings. The building, designed in the Italian palazzo style, is constructed of ashlar sandstone above a plinth of limestone.
Above the entrance the gilded letters ‘BANK’ are inscribed in elegant serifs on the pediment that is carried on Tuscan columns of pink granite.
In October 1907, the bank was amalgamated with the Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company (est. 1829): resulting in the end of locally established banks in the area. The bank became a branch of the National Westminster Bank after being incorporated into that company in 1970.
Location: Church Street, Lancaster, UK.