These letters, formed in terracotta are found above the entrance to the drill hall (built 1888) of the former Artists Rifles: a Territorial Army unit originally raised in London in 1860 as the 38th Regiment and consisting of painters, sculptors, engravers, musicians, architects and actors, as well as other professions such as lawyers, doctors and civil engineers. it was renamed the 20th in 1880. The regiment was disbanded in 1945 but re-established in 1947 to resurrect the Special Air Service Regiment. Today, the full title of the Regiment is the 21 Special Air Service Regiment (Artists) (Reserve).
Location: Duke’s Road, Bloomsbury, London, UK.