These serif letters with their Blackletter features, sit of alongside Lancaster’s coat of arms, are set above the door of a derelict industrial building on St George’s Quay. This is the site of Luneside Mills, built in 1875 by James Williamson, and once one of the largest industrial complexes in the world. It was the powerhouse of a business, founded initially on the invention of ‘table baize’, a type of oil cloth, and later the manufacture of linoleum floor cloth. The plant closed in 1999 after a long decline in the face of economic downturn and overseas competition.
Location: St George’s Quay, Lancaster.