Gates to the former canal depot of the British Waterways Board, Lancaster. Large sans serif letters in metal.
Location: Aldcliffe Basin, Lancaster, UK.
Set in a stone frieze of this late 19th century building, these serif letters have unusual bifurcated terminals. They give the name of Lavers and Barraud a company producing stained glass windows from 1855 until 1921. They were part of the Gothic Revival movement that influenced the architecture of English church and commercial buildings in the 19th century – a style seen in their own premises on Betterton Street.
Location: Betterton Street, Covent Garden, London, UK.
These letters, formed in terracotta are found above the entrance to the drill hall (built 1888) of the former Artists Rifles: a Territorial Army unit originally raised in London in 1860 as the 38th Regiment and consisting of painters, sculptors, engravers, musicians, architects and actors, as well as other professions such as lawyers, doctors and civil engineers. it was renamed the 20th in 1880. The regiment was disbanded in 1945 but re-established in 1947 to resurrect the Special Air Service Regiment. Today, the full title of the Regiment is the 21 Special Air Service Regiment (Artists) (Reserve).
Location: Duke’s Road, Bloomsbury, London, UK.
A rare example of a Clarendon letterform, these letters, cut in relief and accompanied by leaf motifs, are found on the frontage of a row of Victorian terrace horses in the Bowerham area of Lancaster. Claremont View was one of the first terraces to be built in an area that represented one of a number late c.18th expansions seen in the town.
Location: Bowerham Road, Lancaster, UK.
These large serif letters are found on the facade of the former Equitable House premises of the Lancaster and Skerton Co-operative Society,built circa. 1900, and are cut with great skill into the fabric of the building. The building is now used as accommodation.
Location: Bulk Street, Lancaster, UK.
Fast Foot Press will have a stall at the forthcoming Handmade & Vintage Festive Market, Storey Institute, Lancaster on Saturday 7th December, 11am-5pm.
All of our publications as well as a new range of greeting cards, notebooks and posters will be available. Details of all items can be found (and bought) on our online shop: http://fastfootpress.bigcartel.com/
These sans serif letters adorn the entrance to this early 1950s Modernist building. The beautiful proportions of the letters, their clean lines and the simplicity of their design, speak of modernity and the technological innovation of the building they are associated with. The building, of three storeys is constructed of ashlar sandstone. The large windows, set regularly along each storey, have their original Crittall frames. On Cawthorne Street, a two storey element forms an entrance.
Location: Cawrhorne Street, Lancaster. UK.