This plaque sits on the frontage of a row of terrace houses at De Vitre Street and commemorates the builders, Shaw and Parkinson, who constructed them. The sans serif letters contrast with the numerals that have a variety of styles.
The street name refers to Edward Denis de Vitre (1806 – 1878) a physician who was twice mayor of Lancaster. Born in Irthington near Carlisle, he came to Lancaster in 1832, becoming Visiting physician at The Lancaster County Lunatic Asylum (the ‘Moor’ hospital) in 1840 before helping to found the new Royal Albert Hospital (originally The Royal Albert Asylum for Idiots and Imbeciles of the Northern Counties) in 1868. Nearby Edward and Denis street are also named in his honour.
Location: De Vitre Street, Lancaster, UK.