The date on this keystone set above the doorway commemorates the date of construction of the former barracks of the First Royal Lancaster Militia. When the Militia moved to the new Bowerham Barracks in 1881, the building was incorporated into Storey’s Bros. nearby White Cross factory complex. In the 1980s it was used by Lancashire Enterprises Limited and as a studio for Granada Television before its current use as commercial offices. The barracks was designed by the architect Edmund Sharpe in the Scottish Baronial style with stepped gables and corbelled comer turrets with conical stone roofs and finials. The keystone also incorporates the rose of Lancashire, flower and foliage motifs and a crown.
Location: South Road, Lancaster, UK.