This ‘ghost’ letter B is a remnant of the name original found above the entrance to Lancaster’s former public baths and washhouse. The building, constructed in design that featured Tudor, Elizabethan and Italian features. was completed in 1863 as a result of a donation provided by Samuel Gregson, Mayor of Lancaster. It was superceded by the building of the new Kingsways Baths in 1939 after which the Gregson Baths was used by North Western Electricity Board until 1983. The site is now occupied by a major supermarket.
Location: Cable Street, Lancaster, UK.