These unusual letters and numerals are set within a plaque on the entrance lodge of Glasgow’s Botanical Gardens. Cut in relief they have a quirky, almost playful design with slur (rounded) serifs and and numerals giving the date of construction as 1894
Established at the current Kelvinside site in 1842, access to the Gardens were originally restricted to members of the Royal Botanical Institution, with the the public only being admitted on certain days on payment of a one penny entrance fee. In 1891, after financial difficulties, the running of the Gardens were taken over by the Glasgow Corporation.
Location: Great Western Road, Glasgow, Scotland.