These guilded letters in relief are set on the frontage of Minshull’s House, a building constructed in 1890 of red sandstone in a Jacobean style.. Built in 1890 William Ball and Thomas Brookes Elce, it includes a series of ornate terracotta moulding, one of which sits below the upper set of lettering giving the name of the building. A large cartouche, set lower down on the frontage reads: Thomas Mynshull sometime an apothecary of this town bequeathed this property to trustees to apprentice poor sound & healthful boys of Manchester in honest labor & employment. Flanking this are two further pieces of lettering: Born at Wells Green Wistaston Cheshire 1613 and Buried at the Collegiate Church Manchester 1698.
An inscription in the doorway of the building reads: Eliz’h Mynshull B1638 D1728 niece of Thomas Mynshull was the 3rd and Best wife of John Milton poet Feb 24 1662.
Mynshull was a seventeenth century chemist who left the money earned from houses that originally stood on the current site for the support of apprenticing local boys into trades.
Location: Cateaton Street, Manchester, UK.