This plaque is found above the entrance to this building of 1881. The building was constructed on the site of a medieval bridge that spanned a ditch (possibly Roman in origin) carrying a stream that connected the Rivers Irk and Irwell.
It is believed that the ditch was originally built by the Romans as part of a defensive measure and the bridge provided access to what was then the parish church, but is now the cathedral, from Deansgate, a main thoroughfare through Manchester. Originally called the Hengand Brigge, the name is derived for the Old English hen – wild fowl – and Welsh gan – between two hills. By the late 1600s, the ditch had become a sewer and was culverted over and the bridge covered. Later, houses were built on top of the bridge. Remnants of the bridge can be seen in the basement of the Manchester Cathedral Visitor Centre
Location: Manchester, UK.