The Lancaster & Skerton Equitable Industrial Co-operative Society, Argyle St., Lancaster.
One of a number of varied signs on the frontage of these small Co-op stores in Lancaster. This example is set in relief.
The keystone to the front doorway of the Militia Barracks shows the date of construction, along with the Lancashire Rose motif and a crown. The letters are of an unusual design: a slight, spidery, script-like form that seems out of character with the robust scale of the building.
The Barracks, located on South Road, was designed by Edmund Sharpe in 1854 in a Scottish baronial style, and housed the First Royal Lancashire Militia. It was later used as armoury and then incorporated into Storey Bros. nearby, White Cross mill. It was converted to offices in the early 1980s.
Location: South Rd, Lancaster, UK