Location: Glasgow, Scotland. Studio: A. Robertson.
This imposing building once housed Hillhead Primary School. The beautifully cut serif lettering (Govan Parish School Board) is set on the lintel of the entrance way, with the capitals of the large square pillars being in the form of carved heads. Constructed of red sandstone, this large, five-storey building was built in 1844 in a Neo-classical style.Continue reading “Hillhead School, Glasgow”
These unusual letters and numerals are set within a plaque on the entrance lodge of Glasgow’s Botanical Gardens. Cut in relief they have a quirky, almost playful design with slur (rounded) serifs and and numerals giving the date of construction as 1894 Established at the current Kelvinside site in 1842, access to the Gardens wereContinue reading “Botanical Gardens, Glasgow”
This painted sign sits on the frontage of the former William Whiteley Warehouse in Glasgow. Only the facade of the building, built around 1863 to a classical architectural design, now remans with the rest of the structure having been demolished in 1995. The towering front wall, with nothing behind it, presents something of s surreal view;Continue reading “William Whiteley Warehouses, Glasgow”
The remnants of a painted sign above the rear entrance to a long defunct Woolworth’s at the western (Charing Cross) end of Renfrew Street, Glasgow. The front entrance was on Sauchiehall Street. Location: Renfrew Street, Glasgow, Scotland.
These large letters were seen in the window of the modern extension to the Glasgow School of art. The building has recently been demolished to make way for a new redevelopment of the university facilities. Location: Renfrew Street, Glasgow, Scotland.
This inscribed sans serif lettering is found on the former Greek Orthodox church of St Jude’s h, Glasgow. Designed in 1838 by the architect John Stephen in the Greek Revival Style, it was later used as an Episcopal Church and then as a Presbyterian Church before being redeveloped as office and finally as a hotel. The lettersContinue reading “St. Jude’s Church, Glasgow”
Sans serif lettering found above the entrance to this school. Built in 1905 to the design of Thomas L. Watson, it includes bay windows and elements of Art Nouveau styling. It continues as a Primary School. Location: Renfrew Street, Glasgow, Scotland.