Like the Caxton bust from the previous post, this example is also from Preston, Lancashire, and found on the nearby Friargate. It marks the entrance to one of a number of former ‘courts’ that led off from Friargate ‘street’. The narrow passageway led to courtyard with houses in which large numbers of people lived atContinue reading “Walker’s Court, Preston”
This substantial, late Victorian house, is located in the Scotforth area of Lancaster and was originally known as Temple Villa. The ornate lettering with its ‘tuscan’ embellishments, refers to Edmund (1835-1908) and Isabella Langstreth (1846-1918). Although Edmund was a Town Councillor, I’ve so far been unable to uncover much more about the lives of the Langtreths orContinue reading “Temple Villa, Lancaster”
A relatively rare example constructed in ceramic (terracotta), this plaque is found on a row of terrace houses. D & H refer to the builders, Dowthwaite & Huntington. Location: Addle Street, Lancaster, UK.
These simple numerals are found above the door of a mid-nineteenth century house (No.7) on St. George’s Quay, Lancaster. Location: St. George’s Quay, Lancaster, UK.
These letters – broad, white serifs on grey-blue ceramic – are found on the frontage of a block of flats on Dury Lane. Presumably they refer to Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1851-1816), Irish playwright and owner of the nearby Theatre Royal, who was also a member of Parliament. The buildings were constructed around 1900 by London CountyContinue reading “Sheridan Buildings, Dury Lane, London.”
This plaque sits on the frontage of a row of terrace houses at De Vitre Street and commemorates the builders, Shaw and Parkinson, who constructed them. The sans serif letters contrast with the numerals that have a variety of styles. The street name refers to Edward Denis de Vitre (1806 – 1878) a physician who wasContinue reading “De Vitre Street, Lancaster”
Notable more for the unusual name than the quality of the lettering, this increasingly degraded stone plaque sits on the frontage of a row of modest terraces in Lancaster, built around 1856.
This memorial stone commemorates Anne Gillison, benefactor in 1781 of land and money for the building of Gillison’s Hospital, a set of eight alms house that once stood on Common Garden Street, and which were for the benefit of destitute and unmarried women. The memorial stone, cut with expressive serif lettering, is now found atContinue reading “Anne Gillison Memorial, Lancaster”
Another of Bath’s many examples of architectural lettering. This time from Bridewell Lane. Location: Bridewell Lane, Bath, UK.
An example of Bath’s beautiful architectural lettering. These serif letters are found on a street that follows the course of the city’s medieval walls. The building was originally constructed in 1738 from a design by John Wood the Elder using Bath Stone, and later enlarged. Location: Upper Borough Walls, Bath, UK.